Friday, July 13, 2012

Gecko Mania in The Philippines for Medicine

Have you seen a Gecko before? In my case I’m living in a tropical country and when we speak of gecko, yes we do have a lot of this lizard like animal in my country Philippines, but seeing it in its natural habitat not a chance.
Recently, an outbreak of this gecko has spread throughout the internet which originated in my place not that they are infesting my country and devastating crops and has become a menace but there are people who wants to buy them live. The price is pretty much high  and are as follows 300gms-60,000, 400gms-150.000, 500gms -250,000, 1kl 1,ooo,oool the figure is in Philippine peso which created a gecko-mania, and almost all the people here are looking for this elusive animal. Speculation has it that the price is even higher without the intervention of middlemen.
I’m quite alarmed of this phenomena that has actually derailed the minds of my fellow countrymen to doing their daily routine of earning income in  substitute for the search of a gecko. It is very enticing for any person living in the Philippines, which is a third world country to be compelled in this kind of endeavour. I could not blame them for the figures are quite high for an ounce of a gecko. This could fuel their sustenance for a couple of months to a year. Gecko mania spreads like wild fire but the real question is? Is the trading real? for I haven't met a single soul saying that he has been paid for his catch.
As I surfed the internet for answers about the gecko-mania, I’m pretty sure that the animal is not for household pets like any domesticated animals nor for consumption (food) but for its medicinal properties.,that has cure for asthma, skin diseases and the dreaded AIDS.
The shy and timid animal is hunted for its medicinal properties. Its number is dwindling and dwindling very fast due to the destruction of its natural habitat and not to mention the latest craze that would even further diminish their number. This should be stopped and protect this animal from extinction.

No comments:

Post a Comment